Since everyone got the hang of posting throwback Thursday photos, we figured why not give you a throwback about the things that happened in history? Here are some historical events that happened during October 1.
1. In 1908, Ford introduced the Ford Model T to the public. It is the first ever vehicle that is affordable for ordinary citizens. Since cars were so expensive during that time, only people from the upper classes were able to own cars. The Ford Model T is the first least expensive vehicle to be mass produced in history that is affordable enough for regular citizens to purchase.
2. On Oct 1, 1924, James Earl Carter, otherwise known as Jimmy Carter was born. Carter was the 39th president of the United States and was in service from 1977-1981. He is now 91 years old. Happy birthday, Pres. Carter!
3. In 1971, Walt Disney World opened its doors to the public for the very first time. This Disney resort is one of the most visited tourist destination all over the world with over 52 million tourists flocking the park annually.
4. On October 1, 1975, Muhammad Ali beat Joe Frazer on the 14th round of their fight through a technical knockout. This is the third and last installment of the fight between these two legendary boxers. The fight took place in Manila, Philippines, giving it the name “Thrilla in Manila.”
5. In 2013, the US government stopped all non-essential functions in a government shutdown. This is because the congress failed to reach a deal on the budget which resulted to the shutting down of national parks and museums leaving thousands of workers not having work.